This post has been more than 2 years since it was last updated.
How to make an app like Uber? In many cases, any taxi app development involves creating an app like Uber. Mainly using their business processes and strategy as a basis.
You have certainly heard about the term “uberisation,” which comes from a taxi-hailing app Uber. Nowadays it is very succsesful because it reflects existing user behavior regarding efficient and economical transportation. Uber had earned more than $10 billion in revenue by the end of 2018. It was rated the second most disruptive innovation company worldwide.
Undoubtedly, Uber is the best taxi app on a global scale and is present in 600 cities across 65 countries. Despite competition from other similar apps, the company is still the major player in the ridesharing market.
For starters, Uber app attracted both drivers and riders by hosting and sponsoring tech events and by giving trial rides in San Francisco. The city is well-known for its tech community and takes each chance to make life more convenient.
The Uber service employs a free, downloadable iOS and Android mobile application that connects passengers and riders 24/7. These days, Uber serves 75 million users with 15 million rides per day globally.
Each trip request is directed to Uber drivers who use their personal vehicles. The closest car can reach you within a few minutes, while parties are aware of each others’ location.
The Uber app includes 5 sub-steps which are important to clarify from the customer perspective, namely:
- Step 1. Creation of a trip request with the end destination. The user can observe the upfront pricing of a trip’s fare, which is also based on vehicle type among Uber categories.
- Step 2. Verification of the trip. User confirms the data and the pickup location.
- Step 3. Matching up with the nearby available driver. On their end, a driver can accept or decline a request.
- Step 4. Payment process is done automatically in-app after the ride is complete. Beforehand, the user adds a credit or debit card, PayPal account, ties Android or Apple Pay, etc. User may also change the default tip for the taxi service.
- Step 5. Rating is requested after each taxi ride and is a core component of Uber app business logic.
Uber app calculates the ride fares by combining time and distance indicators. If the vehicle is driving less than 11 mph (18km/h), the rider is charged per minute. If the car is moving faster, then the charge is per mile.
How to Make an App Like Uber: Functionality
If you want to make an app like Uber, it is important for you to understand the main components of this system. Every taxi service depends on the development of two distinct apps with unlike functionality which are interconnected with the help of an admin panel.
Besides, to build a taxi app booking service as a simple website, would be a fantastic idea which would help to gather interested users and driver requests for participation in the platform.
Below you will find out what features are essential for building an Uber-like app for each part of the service.
The main features for creating an app like Uber for the customer application are:
The complete feature-list in a driver’s taxi app development includes:
How to Make an App Like Uber: Recommendations
For starters, consider your initial intentions on whether you want to build a taxi app similar to Uber or use its business model and develop an on-demand project. One option could be to develop a taxi-hailing app for local taxi drivers. For that, you would likely need to partner with taxi services or individual drivers.
Additionally, Uber has actually opened its API. Thus, it is possible to apply this API in different niches and industries. An Uber-like app can be created for services like:
- Beauty industry (e.g on-demand beauty services)
- Healthcare services
- Transportation services
- Local food & grocery delivery
- Delivery service for online retailers
- On-demand cleaning or home service
In conclusion, here is a list of points to help you prepare to create an app like Uber successfully:
- Create a business model based on the market demand for your kind of Uber-like application
- Analyze the demographics and define your key target audience - based on their needs, create your Uber-like service
- Define the USP (Unique Selling Points) of your Uber-like app and exactly why it is necessary to build a service similar to Uber. What is distinct about your app?
- Determine the minimum required functionality and platforms of the future application (MVP, for starters). Having the right basis can help you to scale the project further and add more advanced features
- Hire experienced and capable developers.
- Always learn from user feedback and make necessary adjustments along the way, as Uber-like app development is a long term engagement and liability
The main idea is not to build an Uber clone, but one more successful web & mobile app project. It goes without saying that just creating an Uber clone app is a bad tactic that will not necessarily lead to a greater fortune.
All Rights Reserved